Milwaukee Children’s Choir
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Position Title: Graphic Design Intern
Hours per Week: 10+ hours/week
Compensation: Unpaid, college credits may apply
Reports to: Paula Bell, Executive Director
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and design samples to Paula Bell at PBell@MilwaukeeChildrensChoir.org.
Internship Description: Milwaukee Children’s Choir seeks 1 part-time Graphic Design Intern to design brochures, t-shirts, fliers, concert programs and more, using multiple Adobe products including, but not limited to Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
Internship Timeline: Milwaukee Children’s Choir interns will commit to the organization on a semester-by-semester basis. MCC allows for flexible schedules to accommodate intern’s needs but is generally open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Currently seeking candidates for the spring 2016 term but will also interview candidates for the summer and fall 2016 terms.
• Education: Junior standing and above preferred, but will consider strong sophomore candidates with some Graphic Design classes completed; Pursuing a college degree or beyond
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Skilled in Adobe Creative Suites including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Microsoft Office experience a plus, though not required.
• Experience in social media communication mediums: Constant Contact, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, a plus
• This internship involves some physical tasks – applicant must be able to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation
• Applicant must have a cell phone and a reliable means of transportation
• Deep interest in the nonprofit sector; specifically, in music, arts, or art education
• Excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with staff
• Capacity to adapt to and excel at a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment
• A good eye for design and typography
Primary Internship Responsibilities:
• Create promotional materials including posters, flyers, programs, stuffers, brochures, print ads, etc. on a project by project basis.
• If possible, attend concerts and events to provide support and perform other tasks to assist with execution.
• Other duties as assigned.
General Expectations for All Milwaukee Children’s Choir Staff:
Internal Relations: All MCC staff members are expected to foster team building throughout the organization, ensuring effective relationships and open, ongoing and effective communications among internal constituencies. All of MCC’s administrative staff are “cross-trained”, and help each other at various times of the year when there is work overflow.
External Relations: All MCC staff members are expected to develop and maintain ongoing and effective relationships in the community and beyond, e.g. serving as a spokesperson and advocate for MCC; ensuring effective relationships and open, ongoing and effective communication among MCC, performing/educational arts peers, the greater Milwaukee community, and the media; and helping to increase awareness of MCC and enhancing its image within the greater Milwaukee community. All MCC staff members interact with youth and are expected to be good role models and mentors.
Background Checks: All MCC staff members go through thorough background checks, including fingerprinting, prior to employment.
Milwaukee Children’s Choir is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, marital status, race/ethnicity, color, age, sexual orientation, national origin, creed, religion, ancestry, veteran status, disability, or other protected status.