Milwaukee Children’s Choir
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Position Titles: 1 Event Planning Intern
Hours per Week: 10+ hours/week
Compensation: Unpaid, college credits may apply
Reports to: Cecilia Davis, Development Director
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Paula Bell at PBell@MilwaukeeChildrensChoir.org.
Internship Description: Milwaukee Children’s Choir seeks one (1) part-time intern to assist with event planning strategies.
Internship Timeline: Milwaukee Children’s Choir interns will commit to the organization on a semester-by-semester basis. MCC allows for flexible schedules to accommodate intern’s needs but is generally open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Currently seeking candidates for the spring 2016 term but will also interview candidates for the summer and fall 2016 terms.
• Education: Sophomore standing and above preferred; Pursuing a college degree or beyond
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Skilled in Microsoft Office. Experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop is a plus, though not required.
• Proficient in social media communication mediums: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Constant Contact, a plus
• This internship involves some physical tasks – applicant must be able to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation
• Applicant must have a cell phone and a reliable means of transportation
• Deep interest in the nonprofit sector; specifically, in music, arts, or art education
• Excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with staff
• Capacity to adapt to and excel at a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment
Primary Internship Responsibilities: Among Milwaukee Children’s Choir’s array of season-long fundraising efforts, three of MCC’s major efforts include:
1. December Silent Auction
• Held in conjunction with MCC’s holiday concert.
• December 2016.
• A free, all-day concert at Bayshore Town Center.
• Saturday, February 13, 2016.
3. MCC Medley
• An evening, semi-formal tasting event at the Milwaukee Athletic Club Grand Ballroom.
• Featuring tastings of wine and hors d’oeuvres, silent and live auctions, raffle and wine pull.
• Thursday, May 19, 2016
The Event Planning Intern will assist the Milwaukee Children’s Choir Development Manager with the planning and execution of MCC’s fundraising events, focusing primarily on the above 3 initiatives. Tasks include (but are not limited to):
• Research and pursue new and creative sources for donations of auction items, gift cards, etc.
• Create, send and phone-in requests to area businesses for donations of auction items, gift cards, etc.
• Update and maintain donations received spreadsheets.
• Working in MCC’s donor database (DonorSnap), perform data entry as assigned.
• Create and send donation acknowledgement letters.
• Perform timely follow-up correspondence for pending requests.
• Help create and distribute communication materials associated with events (e.g. flyers, email messages, fundraising materials and other correspondence).
• Assemble and prepare silent auction items for display.
• If possible, attend the events to provide support and perform other tasks to assist with execution.
• Other duties as assigned.
General Expectations for All Milwaukee Children’s Choir Staff:
Internal Relations: All MCC staff members are expected to foster team building throughout the organization, ensuring effective relationships and open, ongoing and effective communications among internal constituencies. All of MCC’s administrative staff are “cross-trained”, and help each other at various times of the year when there is work overflow.
External Relations: All MCC staff members are expected to develop and maintain ongoing and effective relationships in the community and beyond, e.g. serving as a spokesperson and advocate for MCC; ensuring effective relationships and open, ongoing and effective communication among MCC, performing/educational arts peers, the greater Milwaukee community, and the media; and helping to increase awareness of MCC and enhancing its image within the greater Milwaukee community. All MCC staff members interact with youth and are expected to be good role models and mentors.
Background Checks: All MCC staff members go through thorough background checks, including fingerprinting, prior to employment.
Milwaukee Children’s Choir is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, marital status, race/ethnicity, color, age, sexual orientation, national origin, creed, religion, ancestry, veteran status, disability, or other protected status.